Welcome to Louny,
a town with many gothic monuments, recognized galleries, and excellent cuisine.
Louny – a town with continuous traditions and a rich history. The extensive reconstructions bring the town’s architectural sights back to life and make the area more attractive not only to local citizens but also to visitors.
The St. Nicholas Church was built by Architect Benedikt Rejt between the years 1519-1538 and is considered a masterpiece of the Czech late Gothic period. It represents a dominant landmark of the town. A detailed view of the town and the surrounding hills can be observed from its tower.
Louny has a lot to offer when it comes to sports and cultural activities such as the Municipal swimming pool, the Municipal Ice Stadium, the Municipal Sports Hall, the Municipal Swimming Hall and the newly reconstructed Vrchlického theatre. The nearby Raná hill is well-known among paragliders and handgliders. The large park area near the river not only hosts different shopping exhibitions but is also considered as part of the town‘s recreational/relaxation area with different cultural, social and sporting events. It is the only permanent exhibition area for the Louny, Chomutov and Most regions.
The town has a good transportation connection to Prague and can be reached in less than an hour. The close proximity has been one of the main reasons for the creation of the so called Southeast Industrial Zone that offers businesses for different foreign investors. Louny’s image has also been changed by the newly established Garden City Residential Area.
Louny’s surroundings offer many opportunities for hiking, camping and cycling. Locals and visitors alike can visit interesting places such as Peruc, Březno or Panenský Týnec. Additional information for visitors is available throughout the Municipal Information Center located in Prag street 95 (entrance from Mírové square) and is open every day.
A traditional town celebration called “Louny’s Summer Allurement“ is an annual August event and celebrates the town and its river, Ohře (Eger). Various sports activities are organized such as an adrenaline-filled paragliding experience at the nearby Raná hill.
The royal town of Louny was founded by Přemyslovci in the middle of 13th century on two major traffic arteries – a water artery represented by Ohře river and a terrestrial road from Prague to Norimberk or Leipzig. However, around the 11th – 12th century, there was a settlement called Luna, where today’s St. Peter’s Church, which was build in the middle of 15th century, is located. Significant landmarks from the end of the same century, such as fortifications with bastions, the Žatec Gate, the Chapel of Mother of God and the Sokolů z Mor (Sokol of Mory) house, are preserved.
The origin of the House “Sokolů z Mor“ (Sokol Knighs of Mory), with its coat of arms that is placed on the beautiful late-gothic oriel, is considered to be sometime between the years 1470 – 1480. The house was owned by the Sokol family from the year 1466. The massive ribbed vault hall on the ground floor of the house is from the same period. The house was a municipal property during the first half of the 16th century. In 1890, Josef Mocker performed an extensive reconstruction. A permanent exhibition of the history of the Hussite period in northwestern Bohemia and other various exhibitions are held in the gothic hall and other areas of the house. Another exhibition area in town is the Municipal Museum, founded in 1889, which displays an ongoing archeological collection that is continuously expanded. The goal of the museum is to focus on capturing the culture and everyday life throughout the past one hundred years. House No. 28 on the other side of the street is called “At The Unicorn“. It has a rococo facade with a gothic portal and three stories of medieval cellars. It serves as an operational building for the nearby museum.
In March of 1517, a devastating fire spread throughout the city. As a result, Louny inhabitants needed to build a new church. Construction of the late gothic style St. Nicholas‘ Church, designed by tho royal builder Benedikt Rejt, was finished in 1853.
As for the Renaissance period, we can admire the house called „Daliborka“, whose facade dates from the turn of the 17th century. The late 17th century style can be seen on the Baroque hospital bulding and the Statue of the Virgin Mary located on the Plague Column in the town center. At the beginning of 19th century, a municipal libary in the Empire style was built on the site of the original town hall from 1398.
A flood bridge with 40 arches was built to maintain the communication between Louny and Leipzig during the frequent floods. This bridge has forty arches and represents a significant technical monument. It was built between the years 1811 – 1815 during the Napoleonic wars as part of the construction of the road to Leipzig, Germany. The construction of the bridge was fully funded by the state. The area between Louny and Dobroměřice was often affected by floods and the bridge was supposed to fill the gap and keep the road open. Nevertheless, as early as the 16th century, Louny’s townspeople realized there was a need for a bridge and, had a stone bridge with six arches built on the present site between 1585 – 1587, in the so called “Benátky“ (Venice) suburbs.
From the end of the same century, a Jewish synagogue, Jiráskovy mills or today’s town hall, which was built in a historical style at the site of the U tří lip (Three Lime Trees) house, can be seen.
The Town Hall is located in the Town Square, in house No. 35. The most important building in Louny’s history, called “U Tří lip“ (At Three Linden Trees), has stood here since the 16th century. During the 19th century, it served as a lodging building. It is told that in September 1813, the Prince Clemens Metternich and his soon to be longtime girlfriend, Princess Vilemína Zaháňská, spent the night here. Emperor Franz I. was also a guest. The town purchased the building in 1869 and established the Municipal Hall. Unfortunately, in 1885, despite the protests of the public and under the order of local authorities, the house was scheduled for demolition. It was replaced by today’s building, designed by the Prague architect Saturnin Heller (1840 – 1844). The facade of the building underwent a complete reconstruction in 1994.